Call Today! (630) 875-1700 | se habla español | Contact Us

Adjustment of Status/Consular Processing

Adjustment of Status Immigration Attorneys

If you entered the country with a non-immigrant visa such as a tourist visa, a temporary work visa or a student visa, it may be possible to obtain legal permanent residency through a process known as Adjustment of Status (AOS).  Becoming a legal permanent resident, or obtaining a green card, has numerous advantages including the ability to remain in the U.S. indefinitely. At Ana M. Mencini & Associates, P.C. we are experienced in helping clients obtain permanent resident status.  The unique structure of our firm allows us to work closely with all of our clients throughout the immigration process to ensure that all applications and supporting materials are submitted properly.

Eligibility and Requirements for Adjustment of Status:

Adjustment of status is available to a number of individuals in many varied situations. At Ana M. Mencini & Associates, P.C. we can help you determine if you are eligible for adjustment of status and prepare your petition.   As with most areas of immigration law, adjustment of status applications can be complicated.  There are certain requirements that must be meant in order for an intending immigrant to become a legal permanent resident. For example, you must have entered the country legally using a valid visa. Additionally, you must not have overstayed your visa. There are some exceptions to these rules.

Some AOS cases are more difficult than others. For example, cases that involve marriages to foreign nationals are scrutinized carefully to prevent fraud. Regardless of the circumstance, it’s important to hire an experienced and knowledgeable immigration to protect your interests.
Consular processing is an alternate option for obtaining an immigrant visa.  This is the procedure whereby a foreign national returns to his/her home country for an interview at a U.S. consulate to obtain an non-immigrant stamping in his/her passport. 

The question of whether to consular process or file for adjustment of status is both important and complicated.  You should seek experienced immigration advice before proceeding.  If you wish to obtain legal permanent residency for yourself or a family member, contact our Chicago-area Immigration firm to schedule a consultation.


Email Us


Our Location

logoISBA  logoCBA   logoDCBA logoAILA 

Ana M. Mencini & Associates, P.C. represents clients throughout the Illinois, area, including the cities of Chicago, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg, Des Plaines, Palatine, Mt Prospect, Rolling Meadows, Park Ridge, Oak Brook, Northbrook, Joliet, Naperville, Wheaton, Evanston, Lake Forest, Highland Park, Skokie, Niles, Hoffman Estates, Elmhurst, Cicero, Downers Grove, and Hanover Park, as well as the communities in and around Cook County, Lake County, DuPage County, Will County, Kane County and McHenry County.

© 2018 Ana M. Mencini & Associates, P.C. All rights reserved.