Chicago-area Visa Immigration Attorneys
Visas allow foreign nationals to come to the United States for a variety of purposes. Some visas allow foreigners to stay in the U.S. permanently, while others only permit temporary stays. The process of obtaining a visa can be very complicated. At Ana M. Mencini & Associates, P.C. we are experienced in helping clients through the visa application process. We are skilled in handling all types of visas and offer our clients cost-effective and compassionate immigration representation.
Types of Visas
The most appropriate visa for you depends on the nature of your visit to the United States. In the U.S., there are two categories of visas: immigrant and non-immigrant. Most visas are non-immigrant visas. There are many different types of visas. Some of the most common include:
• Visitor Visas –These visas allow foreign citizens to visit the U.S. for a short period. B-1 visas are for business travelers and B-2 visas are for tourists. (Citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program do not need a visa to visit the U.S. temporarily.)
• Temporary Worker Visas—H-visas, L-visas, E-visas and P-visas are types of temporary worker visas. The appropriate visa for your situation depends on your occupation and reason for coming to the U.S.
• Student Visas—A student visa is needed when a foreign national takes a course for more than 18 hours/week. F-visas are used for academic students and M-visas are used for vocational students.
• Family-based Visas—U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents can sponsor family members to come to the U.S. on family-based visas, which are for permanent residency. K-visas are used for spouses and fiancés.
• Employment-based visas—A limited number of employment-based (EB) permanent residency visas are available each year.
Immigration is one of the most challenging areas of the law because it is so complex. At Ana M. Mencini & Associates, P.C. we are experienced in working with all types of visas and immigration situations. We will evaluate your situation and determine what the best visa is for your immigration goals. Contact us to discuss your immigration matters and learn how our firm can help you navigate the immigration process.